I’ve just finished translating part of a text I’m going to deliver in the next few days (the deadline is on the 10th), and I was reflecting on how I usually translate a written text. I go through these steps:
- Read the whole text before translating it (translating the text paragraph by paragraph, not knowing what comes next, doesn’t work for me);
- Translate a sentence (I use monolingual and bilingual dictionaries, a collocations dictionary and other online translation resources);
- Read the source language sentence to make sure that I translated everything;
- Read the target language sentence to make sure that I translated it correctly and used natural Italian (unless it’s for a university assignment, I only translate into my mother tongue);
- Translate the rest of the text in the same way;
- Proofread the target language text, preferably on a printed version of it.
What about you? Do you use a different method?